Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Step by Step Illustration

Following on from the Process of Illustrating I thought I might share with you an illustration I've been working on for my website. Ah, yes... I've been designing a website for my transition from writer to author. I thought it would be a nice gift to myself and a whole lot of fun doing. First up, thank you so much to my darling daughter who discovered the host website builder wix and who started me off on this adventure. She's not afraid to have a go and press as many buttons, change options and generally fiddle around with things. When I was little my mum always told me off for fiddling with things and Dad often thought I might break something, so understandably I am somewhat reticent to do so. But, no more! I am very proud of my new creation. It's almost as much fun as writing and illustrating.

If you're looking for a free website builder, check out http://www.wix.com/

Back to the illustration. I did some sketches for it quite a while ago and I'm too embarrassed to show them, but here is the last pencil sketch which I scanned onto the computer and then copied onto watercolour paper just to play around with the colour scheme.

As you know, I've got a thing for apple trees and here two little children are sitting in an apple tree (this one isn't high off the ground) reading a picture book. The girl is munching on an apple and looking over her brother's shoulder. I always love the crunch of a fresh apple when reading. Don't you?

Once I was happy with the colours I traced the sketch onto A3 size Archers 300gm watercolour paper using the lightbox my husband made for me. (He is such an angel). Then, undecided whether to actually do a wash for the background, I started with the tree and the children. Here is the first wash on the good copy.

I then did a blue wash for the sky and another in green for the leaves, darkened certain areas and dulled some of the tones. The finishing touches were done with colour pencil - Derwent Artists and Prismacolor. My set of Prismacolor was a Christmas present last year and I find them so different - creamier, richer. It will take me a while to get used to them. I mainly used them for the apples in the foreground and the boy's shirt.
Now, you're probably waiting to see the finished result. Sorry, but it will only be revealed with the launch of my website, which is in the next few days.

The website doesn't have a name, but I guess you could call it 'In the Apple Tree'.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you big tease! I love it already and I'm sure the finished product will be beautiful! Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the web tips.

Angela Sunde. said...

Oh, Lynn! You surprised me. I only just posted this and you are so quick!! How do you like my new blog background? I finally found a picture of apple blossoms. Takes me back to when I was little.

Anonymous said...

I love it! And I just looked up that site - fantastic. I will be doing something similar soon- I hope. Cant wait to see the end product. Good o you. Hope you didn't drown in the rain last night - you poor thing!

Angela Sunde. said...

Thanks, Lynn! The more you use the wix site the easier it is - just all click and drag and great for visual people like you and me.I made my site from scratch choosing all my own backgrounds and elements. You can also use their templates, but I found them too masculine.

Karen said...

Hi Angela,
I found your new website on FB Networked Blogs. Your site looks fabulous. Can't wait to catch up at CYA and buy your book Karen T:))

Angela Sunde. said...

Thank you, Karen. But actually my website hasn't gone live yet. My blog is networked to fb and I have just given it a facelift too and added some 'pages', which my website links to.
Not long till the CYA!

Unknown said...

I just adore your picture of two little kids in and apple tree...It has been very inspiring. It inspired for the name for my business.... thank you!!

Angela Sunde. said...

Thanks Tami,
I call this blog: Under the Apple Tree. Kids and apple trees go together. Did you check out the finished illustration on my website? www.angelasunde.com

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS